By H. James Birx
Surveying the foremost proof, ideas, theories, and speculations that infuse our current comprehension of time, the Encyclopedia of Time: technology, Philosophy, Theology, & Culture explores the contributions of scientists, philosophers, theologians, and inventive artists from precedent days to the current. by way of drawing jointly into one assortment principles from students world wide and in a variety of disciplines, this Encyclopedia will offer readers with a better figuring out of and appreciation for the elusive phenomenon skilled as time.
* Surveys old thought of time, together with these rules that emerged in historical Greece, early Christianity, the Italian Renaissance, the Age of Enlightenment, and different periods
* Covers the unique and lasting insights of evolutionary biologist Charles Darwin, physicist Albert Einstein, thinker Alfred North Whitehead, and theologian Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
* Discusses the importance of time within the writings of Isaac Asimov, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Fyodor M. Dostoevsky, Francesco Petrarch, H. G. Wells, and various different authors
* comprises the contributions of naturalists and religionists, together with astronomers, cosmologists, physicists, chemists, geologists, paleontologists, anthropologists, psychologists, philosophers, and theologians
* comprises artists’ portrayals of the fluidity of time, together with painter Salvador Dali’s The endurance of Memory and The Discovery of the USA through Christopher Columbus, and writers Gustave Flaubert’s The Temptation of Saint Anthony and Henryk Sienkiewicz’s Quo Vadis
* offers a very interdisciplinary strategy, with discussions of Aztec, Buddhist, Christian, Egyptian, Ethiopian, Hindu, Islamic, Navajo, and plenty of different cultures’ conceptions of time